Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Our Lovely House and Banana Tree

I wanted to post a picture of the outside of our house. It's government housing so it looks like every other house on base. It's pretty plain and made out of cement. Actually, almost every building is made out of cement since typhoons are a big thing here on the island. Supposedly, the housing is made really well to withstand typhoons. And for those that don't know, a typhoon is basically the same as a hurricane. Anyways, Kyle and I live in a multi-plex. There's rows of four apartments on the bottom and four on the top. We live in an upstairs apartment. I was really praying for a downstairs one, but really it's not that bad being on the top. Anyways, our house number is 5124 C. And no, I don't have it written all over my Bible so I can remember it. Ha. ha.
Kyle casually walking up the stairs to our door. Ours is the door on the very right at the top.

If you didn't happen to notice, I mentioned a banana tree in my title. Well, a friend and I went and dug up some banana trees a lady was giving away from her yard. To buy one out in town is about $24 and up. So we figured we would take advantage of it being free and plant it in our yard to see what will happen. I don't think this tree will produce bananas while we are here, but maybe it will for the next person that moves in. I did hear that sometimes the small banana trees will produce bananas within 9-12 months. We'll see. We still haven't put it in the ground, but hopefully we'll get around to doing it soon.

I know, I know, this picture of the tree looks like I already killed it. But you must have faith! It's looking rough now, but it should grow fine once it's in the ground. And plus, the wind has been knocking it around the past couple of days.


This last picture has nothing to do with our house or banana trees, but I wanted to post it. It's me and Kyle smiling at you all saying we miss you very much and we KNOW you are going to visit, right?? :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Joy and Kyle,

Hey, great blog. A place to visit you. Are you members of Facebook? Connect with me if you happen to decide Facebook.

Love and Blessings,
Ate Mae (Jardio-DeBruin)
maejdebruin@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that your are going to try to grow bananas! Just get some books at the library and read up on it. And we do plan on visiting. I think about it all the time and look on-line at prices for tickets. If the Lord is willing ...........