Friday, January 23, 2009

Home Sweet Home- JAPAN!

Wow. Obviously, I have not been the best blogger. Sorry about that, folks.

Well, we have been in Okinawa for a week now. We have been very busy with checking in and getting housing and all that fun stuff. First of all, just to let you know, I passed my driving test! I was worried about it at first, but the test was a piece of cake. Anyways, as I mentioned before, we have been here for one week. We are staying in a hotel on one of the bases. It has been really nice. However, I am ready to move into our own house. We got a house picked out and should be moved in by next weekend. We will be living on a base with only housing on it. Kyle's work is only about five or ten minutes away so it is really convenient. Our express shipment has already come in so we will be receiving that on the second of February. Everything seems to be going very smoothly.

We have a really good sponsor who has been helping us out and getting us situated. He has been driving us everywhere. We went car shopping with him today and it looks like we should have a car soon. Speaking of driving, it is SO strange driving on the left side of the road with the steering wheel on the right side of the car. But I know I'll get used to it.

So not only is the driving different, there are a lot of things that we are going to have to get used to. We have already sampled some of the local eats. YUM. Most everything out in town takes American dollars, but there are some places that only take Yen. I am still trying to understand the Yen rate and putting it into dollars. I'm getting there. Kyle and I have already learned some Japanese, so we have been practicing. It's been fun. The weather has been nice and hot. Today, however, was rainy- BOO! Oh well, I guess it did cool things off nicely. Anyways, I am excited about exploring the Island. There is so much to do and the Marine Corps offers a lot of fun programs and classes so I plan on taking advantage of some of the stuff. They even offer free classes to learn Japanese, so hopefully Kyle and I can take it. Lordwilling, after we get settled I can find a job. It looks like there are a lot of good opportunities, so hopefully something will come up for me.

Anyways, I know there is probably still more I could write about, and lots I am leaving out, but I am ready for dinner. :) I am using the hotel's computer right now (every room has its own pc), but when we finally get moved into our own place hopefully I can upload some pictures.

P.S. Kyle is up for Corporal in February! He finally made the cutting score so pray he picks up!

2 comments:

Keri Ronk said...

Yay! I am so glad to hear that you guys arrived safely! We definitly want to see lots of pictures! We miss you guys! Can you believe that 9 mile road opened up like right when you guys left Jacksonville! Haha! We love you guys and can wait to hear more! Keep it up with the blog updates!!!

Anonymous said...

If he has the score for corporal, he'll get it. The only way you don't is if you have been in trouble and been restricted from promotion as a result... and I really doubt that. So congrats, Cpl Mills!